When you use XtraEdge gloves while walking or doing other aerobic exercises, your heart rate goes up by five to 10 beats per minute. It can also increase your oxygen use and calorie burning by approximately 5 to 15 percent as compared to doing the same activity without using the gloves.
How weights help retain muscle mass
We all know that muscle mass diminishes naturally as you get older.
“If you don't do anything to replace the lean muscle you lose, you'll increase the percentage of fat in your body. But strength training can help you preserve and enhance your muscle mass – at any age.” - Edward Laskowski, M.D., co-director of the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center
Benefits of walking with XtraEdge gloves
Walking with XtraEdge gloves tackles both aerobic exercise and strength training, both of which are necessary in maintaining good health.
· Strength training helps increase your bone density to lower the risk of osteoporosis.
· It also tones your muscles and makes it easier to control your weight by burning calories more efficiently.
· Strength training gives you better balance, builds stamina and helps you focus or improve your attention span. It can also reduce and manage a number of chronic conditions such as arthritis, depression, osteoporosis, diabetes, back pain and obesity.
· Walking at any pace for as little as one hour per week lowers your risk of developing coronary artery disease. Walking longer and more vigorously can lead to a greater reduction of health risks.
When you include XtraEdge gloves in your walking regimen, you will increase cardio intensity. A study by the University of Alberta in Canada on the effects of hand weights determined that weights increased training intensity and energy – or calorie expenditure – during treadmill running and may result in a bigger increase in cardiovascular fitness and weight loss than training without them.
· When using XtraEdge gloves, you should walk normally and carry your arms high, swinging both arms back and forth.
· If needed, start out with just the 1/2-pound weight on the back of the hand and add the palm weight after establishing a stride that is comfortable for you.
· You can use XtraEdge gloves while briskly walking up and downhill or step climbing to vary your walking routine and burn even more calories.